Spring is just a few weeks away, so I thought it would be a great idea to show you lovely ladies how you can ditch the bulky coat but still keep warm & stylish!
The layered look is a great alternative if you don't want to wear a coat or jacket during the first few weeks of Spring. The layered look is all about BALANCE. You don't want to end up looking bulky or like a hobo so keep color and textures in mind when putting a layered look together. In my opinion, it's best to start your look with form fitting clothes and then add on more looser/bulkier pieces. Below are my 5 tips to get the layered look.
My 5 TIPS TO GET THE LAYERED LOOK:
1) Color: Pull all the separate pieces together by sticking to similar color families. For this look I selected various shades of light brown and blue.
2) Fit: Only one chunky layer per outfit (i.e. thick sweater, jacket, faux fur vest). Also, make sure your hemlines vary - My black H&M dress is the longest layer I have on, then I have on a Rolling Stones t-shirt, denim shirt from Forever 21 and a safari vest from Ralph Lauren. Bascially, you want each layer of clothing to show.
3) Textures: The best part about the layered look is that you don't have to worry about being matchy matchy - the whole point is to add interest to the look, so don't be afraid to play with different textures. I have on suede boots from Shoedazzle, cotton dress and t-shirt, denim shirt, cable knit hat, etc.)
4) Makeup & Accessories: Keep to a minimal because you don't want to end up looking like you put on everythng you own. I kept the look simple with some hoop earrings, watch and a few bracelets.
5) Scarf: Personally, I feel like the layered look is incomplete without a pretty scarf. I absolutely love this leopard print scarf that I bought at Forever 21 last year.